This collection can also be catalogued as one of the oldest in the museum, of a great historical and documentary value. Concerns regarding accumulation of artistic woks, which could illustrate the Romanian military history, existed since 1919, when Colonel Constantin Ştefănescu-Amza was delegated to deal with organising the museum. Thus, at the end of 1919, the museum’s collection already withheld 59 sculptures, statuettes and miniatures.
After the Second World War, when many items were dispersed, an intense gathering of valuable works of art from all military units began (e.g. the Military Hospital, the Territorial Commandments, the Cavalry Inspectorate, the Military Academy, “Heroes’ Cult” Society) as well as a returning action of some of the most valuable pieces, such as: busts of the Royal family, of great generals, commanders, heroes whose representative works were placed in the units where they served.
The Sculptures Collection, which has a number of 620 items, became a collection in its own right only in 1974 as part of the organising process. Many of the works within the collection can be regarded as part of the national cultural heritage, such as works by: Friedrich and Carol Storck, Constantin Brâncuşi, Oscar Han, Ion Iordănescu, Ion Jalea, Oscar Spaethe, Spiridon Georgescu or Dimitrie Măţăoanu.